- To formulate research, design and development programmes in aeronautics and allied sciences, keeping in view future needs of the country specifically with respect to aircraft, helicopter, missiles and all other airborne vehicles.
- To implement such programmes through appropriate institutions and individuals by sponsoring research, design and development projects, creating/ improving infrastructure facilities deemed necessary,while ensuring that they are suitably monitored.
- To promote in all possible ways such educational and training programmes as may be considered necessary for ensuring that adequate manpower of requisite quality becomes available to various aeronautical organisations in the country.
- To promote all relevant R&D activities in the country through appropriate scientific meetings, provisions of support for participation of Indian and foreign scientists in such meetings, conduct of relevant competitions as well as other training and visiting programmes within India and abroad as may fall within the scope of the programmes mentioned at sub para (a) above.
- Dissemination of appropriate technical information through journals and documents, encouragement of individual and collective efforts and nurturing of young talent by institutionswith suitable awards, scholarships etc. Organisation of necessary centralized services related documentation, software, data-link etc. and in all such other ways that the Board may determine from time to time.
About IIT Indore
In keeping with India's vision to become a world leader in Science and Technology and to usher in a new revolution, resulting in an unprecedented economic growth, Government of India reassessed the need of technical manpower and decided to set up eight new IITs. Six of them started functioning back from the academic year 2008-09. These were established at Hyderabad, Gandhinagar, Rajasthan, Ropar, Patna and Bhubaneswar. IIT Indore and IIT Mandi started functioning from July 2009.
Indian Institute of Technology Indore located in Madhya Pradesh, known as IIT Indore or IITI, is an institute of national importance established by the Government of India in 2009. It is one of the eight new IITs, started by the Ministry of Education, Government of India. The institution started functioning from 2009-10 in a temporary campus at Institute of Engineering and Technology of Devi Ahilya University under mentorship of IIT Bombay. Shri Arjun Singh, the Union HRD minister, laid the foundation of the permanent campus, spread over an area of around 501.42-acre (2.1 km2), on 17th February 2009 at Simrol, a location on Khandwa Road about 25 km from the city of Indore.
Since , February 2016, IIT Indore has started functioning from its permanent campus. All the Administrative Offices, Material Management Section, Finance and Account Section, The School of Basic Sciences, The School of Humanities and Social Sciences, The School of Engineering, Basic Science Labs and Engineering Labs are all established in this campus. The Central Library is also situated in this campus.